Wednesday, September 20, 2017

EMAIL: Week 48 - Saying GOODBYE to President Taggart

WRITTEN: 6/26/17



Hey everyone!

Holy smokes it's been a full and fun week.

First to leave my last p-day in Dover with a bang I went fishing and ended catching a pretty Bass. Definitely something that made my day because about 10min after it started to pour!

Tuesday I packed up all my in the car and we drove to the shorthills chapel, that's where transfers were happening. I got to see Elder Davis and all my mission buddies, and say one last goodbye to President Taggart before he goes on Thursday. Met my new companion Elder Sillanppa from Arizona. He's been out about 8 months. I was in zone four when he first came to the mission, so we served around eachother before. He's a really fun guy I'm excited for this transfer. After transfers we drove to Perth Amboy dropped off my stuff and went out to work. Everyone here is ether from Mexico or the Dominican Republic. We live next to a beach and some piers so you already know what's going to happen a few pdays this transfer 😂. We ate at a members house and it was super good!

Wednesday we had district meeting. I was really blown away by the spirit when I found out that my district is all elders this transfer. I went from having a sistrict (district majority is sisters) to having a brostrict! (District majority is Elders). I was starting district meeting and I could just feel priesthood power in that room. It was a feeling that was so amazing! I gave a training on a type of planning we use as missionaries called PERSMA. It's kinda new but it's a really really great way to plan effectively but a lot of missionaries don't know how to use is so that's why I gave a training on it.

Thursday we did some weekly planning and then I had to go do a baptismal interview for one of my district members investigator. She was super ready and she's super excited to be baptized! Later we had a bunch of member appointments and they all fed us. We are in a walking area in the hottest and most humid area in New Jersey so after working and walking everywhere I'm pretty much always hungry haha.

Friday I was in Morristown pretty much all day for a leader meeting. It was upper good! Lots of really great things were talked about and discussed. Elder Davis was there cause he was finally called as a district leader. We were joking around with eachother and talking about when we will be comps. As of right now he has been companions with everyone that was in our district in the MTC except for me haha. So we were thinking that we might be comps near the end of of missions, that would be so fun! Later we had a few appointments with some investigators and some member appointments.

Saturday we tried doing table stand but nobody was really out so then we stopped by our investigator Andy and he's progressing towards baptism. Really sweet 14 who want to change and do better in life. After we had another appointment with one of our investigators Axcel, he's from Honduras. He's having a really hard time in the states and the fact that the rest of his family is in Honduras. Later we ended up at the chapel for a wedding of some members that got sealed so that was nice for me to see all the members and get to know them. Our ward does like a huge party every week!

Sunday before church we stoped by Andys house and helped him get ready to come with us, he walked with us to church. Church was great, all the members are so nice and welcoming. We had a meeting after church with all the priesthood leaders. The bishop is from the Dominican Republic and he's super funnnny! We had a meal appointment after church with a less active who wants her two kids to be baptized woohoo! And then for the rest of the night we just tried by some investigators and members.

So far so good for my first week in Perth Amboy. I really like it here! It's super hot and we do a lot of walking but it's good for me but I know I'll be super dark when I leave Amboy😂.

Oh by they way I can receive letters and packages at my apartment building!
My new address is:

358 Rector St. Apt 303
Perth Amboy, Nj 08861

Happy summer! Have an amazing week!

Love,
Elder Marz












IN response to 48 weeks from Home 

Hey momma,

This week has been awesome! My new comp is super fun! A little quirky (so am I haha😂)but he's a hard worker and that's all I need to be able to work well.
Well a few things that are different:
- we walk everywhere!
- we have some weights and a make-shift bench so I've been getting gainz. This transfer will be really good for my health (or I hope it will!) so I've set some goals
- we have no AC in our apartment so sleeping has been kinda tough but we got some fans last night form the senior couple in our zone so last night was the first night I've been here and have had more than 4 hours of sleep so I feel really good right now.
- the ward is involved with everyone! Parties all the time!
- I've got a district full of elders! Honestly sooo awesome! All of the elders a really great missionaries and I feel so blessed be be a leader for them. Elder Forsyth is I'm my district too! Haha
- I can get letters and packages:)
-our apartment is a lot bigger than my last one

That sucks about twisting his ankle! Hopefully he recovers quickly!

Mishawn emailed me on Friday and told me all is good. She loves it and is having such a great time. She's such a strong person and I already knew she going to handle it well:)

It makes me happy that you did the challenge and received some revelation for how you can improve personally. I honestly feel the same way. It makes me think why I'm the world as a missionary do I have Facebook? I mean what in the world are the brethren thinking? Well it's simple. Technology is a tool and social media is a tool. Do people use them as tools? No. Do they know how? No. I think it is soooooo inspired that missionaries now have access to iPads and social media. Yes it's a scary thought but we are learning how to use these things as tools not distractions. I know the difference now between how I feel when using technology as a distraction and when I'm using as a tool and the difference is the spirit! My feed is just jam packed full of spiritual quotes and pictures. And when there is anything, even just the smallest thing that drives the spirit away I make a honest decision to do all I can do to avoid those things. It's super duper hard to have your guard up 24/7. I send over 1000 friend requests to people a week and when that happens my feed becomes cluttered with crap and I hate it but i get those things out of my feed and out of my head. I don't have to see what they are up to but now when ever I post things they see it and I'm using it as a tool! See it's so cool how we can change the way we do things and we so much better about ourselves. Just remember "Satan (social media) has the ability to bruise our heels but we have the power to crush his head" just food for thought😉

Other than that I'm doing great. Could you send me another amazon box of food? I never ended up buying a costco card thinking that I was going to leave so that's good I didn't. 
Also I need new hair stuff. 
Also if you can I need a certain flash drive. It's a wifi capable USB memory stick. You can get it on amazon for like 25 bucks it's a 32g. "*SanDisk Connect™ Wireless Stick". It has to be this one. Thanks!

And I think that's about it. Everything is good here just havin fun and working hard.
I'm glad those letters got there!


Love,
Elder Marz

No comments:

Post a Comment